Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pearls before swine

Many years ago we as a family were invited to a friend's house that we met at church for a cook out. We brought our kids and they seemed to enjoy the newness of the friendship of the family event as kids seem to do.
As the dad and I sat there watching the food cook on the grill their boy who was about 10 years old came up and stood next to us while we talking. Then he reached out and held his hand next to the dome of the grill. I spotted the danger and said, "Hey, don't touch the grill it's hot"!
He looked at me with a defiant look and gently laid his open hand on the grill!!! He screamed and yelled and cried. Then his dad said to me "why did you yell at him"? I wasn't sure what to say at this point but I responded, "I didn't want him to get burned". Then he said back to me "well if you wouldn't have said something he wouldn't have touched it."

Sometimes when we know the truth and try to tell others, they stubbornly march ahead to prove their point just to win, pride is a lot like this.
It reminds me of the saying, "Pearls before Swine". God has given us many warnings about life and yet how many of us trample his words into the slime and mud just a pig who would trample a pearl directly into the dirt without regard for it's worth.

God loves us and cares about us. He says in his word, "I would that none should perish". Life is about living and enjoying the things of this universe. However the beauty, the love, the joy, the peace and the happiness has a serious side to it, and that is that we have a responsibility to examine the why of it all. We know that life is empty without hope for today and a hope for life here after. This hope is found through Jesus. Do you know him?

No comments:

Post a Comment